Colette Carlson is a human behavior expert and keynote speaker who inspires individuals to connect and communicate in real and relevant ways. How to create effective connections, and leverage them for greater success, is the thread that is woven into every one of Colette’s presentations.
With a Master’s Degree in Human Behavior, a fascination with communication trends, and extensive experience in the personal development industry for over 20 years, Colette knows the difference between trendy topics and timeless truths when it comes to successful business practices.
Colette is a Certified Speaking Professional (CSP), a designation held by fewer than 10% of the members belonging to the International Federation for Professional Speakers. Her articles have been featured in Success, Business Management Daily, and Working Mother magazines.
Through her real-world, highly-engaging, and laugh-out-loud funny seminars, Colette teaches organizations how mindful communication creates powerful connections. Every presentation is customized and personalized, and audience members learn how to form and sustain connections that drive productivity, engagement, and collaboration. From the top leadership to the front line, it’s all about the power of connection.
Her clients include Boeing, Microsoft, Cisco, Pepsi, Procter & Gamble, Shell, Great Clips, Davidson Hotels, the United States Government, and numerous others.
Colette grew up in Chicago and now lives in San Diego, but she still prefers pizza over tofu.
Travels from: San Diego, CA
SALES: Up Your Connection Quotient
In order to make a sale and earn a customer, you must first make a connection. Wider and deeper relationships lead to increased sales, repeat business, and powerful referrals. As a former national sales trainer, who cut her teeth in straight commission sales, Colette will show you how to up your personal connection quotient to maximize relationships, revenue, and results. Every program is customized for each audience. Some of Colette’s most-requested lessons include:
- Recognize that connection begins within
- Focus on opening the dialogue, rather than closing the sale
- Create a sincere selling mindset
- Align your thoughts, words, and actions to build trust and confidence
- Boost your sales team's productivity, enthusiasm, and bottom line
- Embrace change in your ever-changing marketplace
- The power of ASK
LEADERSHIP: The Connected Leader
Successful leaders understand the nuances in communication that make a big difference when inspiring action and cooperation. Leaders know the power of their words and understand that words alone do not generate trust, allegiance, and loyalty. Connection is the glue that keeps relationships, projects, and organizations together. A leader must be authentic and exhibit the behaviors conveyed in their message to maintain respect for their authority. Advance your communication style, increase your credibility, earn respect, and gain support by learning how to:
- Communicate with candor and clarity to guide your team to achieve remarkable results
- Effectively receive feedback from your team
- Develop phrases that dissolve conflict and inspire cooperation
- Engage, persuade, and influence others through strategic storytelling
- Exhibit integrity and build trust when you walk your talk (especially under pressure!)
- Become a human highlighter who champions the accomplishments and strengths of every individual on your team
COMMUNICATION: Many Communicate, Few Connect
The common denominators of the most successful people are the ability to effectively communicate and connect, regardless of the situation or audience. In a competitive world filled with a global workforce, numerous communication challenges, and daily digital distractions, getting your message heard has never been more challenging. Clear, concise communication is no longer enough to get results: connection must be part of the equation. Productivity decreases, collaboration stalls, accountability suffers, and conflict and stress escalate when even the simplest of miscommunication occurs. Without connection, these outcomes are only heightened. Connect and communicate on a deeper level to form crucial relationships that drive productivity, engagement, and collaboration by learning how to:
- Awaken your personal awareness to foster healthy communication
- Align your thoughts, words, and actions to build trust and increase influence
- Overcome conflict while maintaining a respectful, human connection
- Become a human highlighter who champions the accomplishments and
- strengths of every individual on your team
- Increase rapport and leave a positive, lasting impression with everyone.
WORK-LIFE BALANCE / STRESS / PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT: Stress Less: YOU Management vs Time Management
The truth is whether you are in leadership, in sales, or on the front line, you are expected to produce more in less time with fewer resources, while staying positive and connected with colleagues, customers and clients. The reality is we are all stressed out, tightly wound, and exhausted trying to meet and exceed expectations. People have the best intentions that seem to go out the window before lunch as they are constantly changing schedules, demands, and priorities. Enough already! Create the focus, energy, and mindset necessary to make healthy choices and stay connected to those who count. It’s no longer about time management, it’s about YOU management. Get ready to laugh-out loud and walk away ready to make positive, long-lasting change the next day. Customized for every audience and their unique challenges, some of Colette’s most-requested lessons include:
- Differentiate between time management and YOU management
- Know when to let go or take control
- Eliminate unrealistic expectations and energy zappers
- Beat the stress and temptation of everyday life in healthy ways
- Build a positive mindset to increase mental toughness
WOMEN’S PROGRAMS: 3 Truths Female Leaders Need to Know
The world seeks more women leaders. Colette delivers the latest research and strategies specific to women in leadership, so they can be recognized, respected, and rewarded in their career. Participants will gain a bigger self-awareness and learn the skills necessary to being a credible and confident leader. Deliver positive results for your company or organization by learning how to:
- Identify and change communication patterns that limit your influence
- Employ the art of self-promotion to express your success in a manner that gains supporters and censors critics
- Build a persuasive case to back up your ASK for maximum impact
- Cultivate connections that count: identify, access, and develop strategic relationships
- Give and receive feedback so it lands as a gift
- Increase risk taking and choose to fail forward
- Strategically say no to grow to the next level
- Stay resilient through constant change and challenges